Saturday, December 26, 2015

Planet X Vulcun with Rage Over Cybertron Optimus Prime

I was debating whether or not to replace every element in the source picture, but quickly realized I'm not yet skilled enough to reproduce everything on my own. Instead, I opted to add what I could with my own photos, and let interesting bits show through so that the final picture would be more dynamic.

I started with a Render Clouds layer and masks to give the picture more atmosphere. It also helps to hide the feet of some of the figures. Without it, Vulcun would look like he was floating over the ground.

Starscream required a little work to hide the hollow gap behind the cockpit, but otherwise just needed a little fiddling with saturation levels to not appear overly bright. His contrails are photos of a candle flame stretched out.

Optimus Prime has quite a bit of hollowness and holes on his arms and legs, that I filled in. Most of that work didn't make it into the final composition so next time I'll have to remember to compose then fix. It's very subtle, but without Layer Effects enabled for the panel lines and Autobot symbol, he would look very dull. The eyes and weapon glows have a more obvious impact. Unfortunately, his head articulation doesn't really allow the figure to match the dynamic pose of the source material.

I don't like putting batteries in my figures so it is no big loss that Planet X Vulcun's red bits don't glow. It's an easy enough effect to add in Photoshop, and it helps to cover up some of the screws. Being a great figure, there are no gaps to fill in.

I left in parts of the picture of Optimus Prime and Grimlock because they resemble buildings and structures. Maketoys Nemesis is taking the place of the structure in the top right. Maketoys Utopia and Fall of Cybertron Shockwave are there to add interest to otherwise empty sections of the picture.

In the skies above Cybertron, I added a few more Seekers and a moon. The smoke cloud and meteors were added by creating a custom brush out of a Render Clouds layer.

The building on the left is the same set of Mechanical Chain Base panels from my previous picture, with bits masked out to let the background picture show through.

Direct link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwxl1QbH6hwVNWp0R2hPbWx3STQ


https://www.facebook.com/lapstransformersphotos/
https://www.instagram.com/laptutran/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/19429167@N02/albums


No comments:

Post a Comment

Starscream's Triumph

Starscream's Triumph It's my interpretation of the scene where Starscream and Bruticus best Megatron. Zeta Toys Armageddon stood i...